Just tring..tring.. or more?
Over
a period
of time, technology grows so fast; like a group of cells
multiplying infinite times but only getting better at doing what it
does, each time. In the period
of twenty years of my life-
I have seen so many changes that it almost feels like a different
era. Just imagine, sitting exactly where you are now but, twenty
years ago.
Picture
this: A cartoon playing on your picture tube TV screen with Tom and
Jerry on (I mean, who hates them right?). “Muqabula..muqabula..”
playing on the radio somewhere in the background. The pure
non-polluted air blowing in from the window where the sparrows are
chirping away to glory. Wanting to get up and change the channel, but
too lazy to move your bum from the sofa.
Can
you think of just the above picture in your mind for more than two
minutes? Without worrying to check your whatsapp
messages from your loved ones; or if your status/picture on facebook
has
been liked or commented on; or if your instagram
video has the maximum
number of likes? Without thinking if you have received a reply to
your mail from the client or your co-worker or your manager. Without
thinking about booking something important online; or about what to
play on your PS4
next; or about calling your dad/mum/brother/sister/friend on their
mobile?
There
you go!
Technology
has become a necessary part of people's life. I still remember the
first time we got our landline connection at home; what with my dad
working for a telephone company and everything. My mother asked me to
call my best friend from school and inform
her that this was my telephone number. For some weird reason, I was
scared to call and did not agree. After a lot of pushing from
my parents, I mustered the courage to finally call her. I said
“Hello..” and could hear her confidently say hello from
the other end. I wondered how she did it so easily. I couldn't
continue to talk, so my mother took the receiver from me and told her
to call me on that number if there was anything important. I guess
this was in first grade. Slowly, I distributed my number to all my
friends and started receiving calls to discuss about the homework or
about the colour of the new fountain pen that I had bought.
For
many years, we had a landline connection. It rang short rings if it
was a local call and long rings if it was an STD call. In summer
holidays, our favourite pastime with cousins was to dial 161 on the
landline and hang up, only to make it ring again and ask our younger
cousins to pick the phone. The dial tone would play, without any
voice on the other side and the younger ones wondered with such amaze
and looked at us unbelievably.
We
had to get our telephone directory replaced or exchanged every year
to have the updated phone numbers. We randomly picked numbers from
the directory and called unknown people and pranked them with their
names, saying something really stupid. After getting yelled at from
our parents we were
prohibited from making any calls. That's when we would stretch
out the coiled wire of the phone and see how far it could unwind; or
dial the numbers really quick and time it, to see who dialed the
fastest. The ones with the circular keypads which had to
be rotated for dialing a number was particularly very
interesting.
With
time, cord-less phones became more common, though we did not have one
at our home. It was very amusing for us because we wondered how the
voice could be heard if there was no physical connection with any
wire. Where and how did the voice of the other person come from,
magically? Seemed like some
kind of really advanced technology that we did not know of
since we were still in middle school.
After
a few more years, mobile phones with green background and black
pixels of text and pictures came into existence. The Nokia
models were really famous. However, dad was
gifted this Motorola
model with blue back light and black pixels. The screen was really
small, but the
fact that such a tiny device could send messages, make calls
and have games in it, brought a huge sense of excitement and a whole
new level of curiosity to our lives. Brother and I used to fight to
get hold of the mobile phone and play the snake game. It still is
epic, I think. Changing ring tones once in a while, changing the
screen saver, the background image-
all this seemed very
very interesting back then.
As
I passed out of school, I had to travel by bus. Since I had never
traveled alone before, for my “safety”, my dad bought me this
colour phone that had more games, more images, more ringtones and was
much
better than the one he had. And then began the
obsession of texting - sending SMS. I remember putting a
message pack of 300 messages per month, which seemed to
be enough initially. As time passed, the texting and sending
forwards saga increased. 300 messages per month were not enough. By
then, the telecom providers had started introducing better plans. The
student plan had 100 messages per day free! That was like a big boon
for us, students. Texting in class, in tuition and at home-
typing away to glory! Along with this boon came the expertise
of typing without looking at the screen. Oh yes! We used to compete
to see who could type faster without looking at the screen and
without making any spelling mistakes! An added challenge was that,
there were no QWERTY keypads. It was the letters-on-numbers keypad.
To type a letter, we had to press the same button more than once.
After gaining mastery at this unique talent, we were
introduced to phones with QWERTY keypads but with smaller
buttons. Some of us still stuck on to the non-QWERTY ones, though. FM
radios were
introduced in phones and to have a
ear phone hanging down from your ears and going all the way
down to the phone in your hand or pocket was a “cool” thing!
While travelling by bus or walking on the road or just doing nothing,
listening to the radio was
considered as an “in thing”.
Just
when we thought that it couldn't have
been made any better, touch phones were
introduced! I mean, seriously?! Touching the screen and
dialing a number?! Changing the keypad from letters to numbers
whenever you wanted? And such amazing wall papers; looked almost
life-like! To add-on to it, it had cameras. CAMERAS! Of course, few
of the non-touch screen phones too had cameras, but to have touch
screen and a camera? Dad had bought one for himself and after a few
months of buttering, I exchanged mine with his - and wohoo!
I was a proud owner of a touch phone with camera! I loved bragging
about it. During the same time, or maybe before, flip phones and
slide phones were also introduced. I had this friend who was really
crazy about flip phones and went shopping to buy just that! To flip a
phone and say hello! Whatte
style, I say! After a few years, feather/capacitive touch became
common. The phones with resistive touch seemed so difficult to use.
Just a light brush against the screen and you could scroll up and
down with the new one. No more stylus usage or hard presses with your
fingertips!
FM
was one thing, but to have your favourite songs on your phone and
listening to it whenever
you wanted - was a whole new level of joy! MP3 players on phones
became an instant hit among people.
However,
over-texting, over-camera usage, etc led to phones hanging quite
often and it kind of diminished the
whole excitement for me. The continuous evolution of the
telephone/mobile industry made me believe that anything was possible.
Sometime
during my under graduation course, android phones started gaining
popularity and ever since, they have stayed in the hands of people.
Different versions are
released and each time it only gets better. And there are iOS
devices - always more expensive than the android ones. To add
on to it, like some long
lost brother who doesn't get enough attention, Windows phones
also came into picture.
Whatsapp,
facebook,
instagram,
twitter, and so many more social apps are available to keep in touch.
Apart from these, some very helpful apps like a dictionary, or a
vocabulary builder, payTm,
bank apps, have only made our lives so much easier. Almost
all online shopping websites have an app for the phone. These are now
multi purpose devices and have become an essential necessity.
After
having seen phones evolve just in about two decades, it makes me
think that there is no limit to the new innovations man can make!
Just when you are about to settle for something, you find something
new, something better and something much more interesting to explore.
This anticipation keeps our inquisitiveness alive.
Good one Kruthi.
ReplyDeleteThank you, sir! :)
ReplyDeletewow.... i dint know u could put down words so well.
ReplyDeleteGood Article.
Thanks atthige :) I always liked writing..
ReplyDeleteNostalgic... Awaiting for more of your writing. You are amazing! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Ankita :)
ReplyDeleteNic article
Delete