Train of thought
Anila
walked into her room, heaving a sigh of relief. Looking at her bed
felt like a blessing after a hard day's work in front of the laptop.
She decided to freshen up as quickly as possible and then doze off.
After two weeks of hardcore coding, the build was finally sent to the
client and the whole team was glad that it was finally over. However,
the exhaustion overpowered the accomplishment of successful winding
up of the project. She changed into her pajamas and lied down on her
bed and began to fathom..

“Phew..That felt like a year. But it was
a very challenging project. I don't think I could have done it
without Rahul's help. He's a nice guy but I don't like him boasting
and yapping off about work, all the time. I guess he thinks he is God
or something, cuz he considers himself to be an atheist. I'm pretty
sure God is looking down at him and thinking “These humans!”. I
know God likes me..cuz I visit the temple in our neighborhood,
whenever possible. Temples have this calming effect on me. The stones
and the marble have a cooling effect that no other piece of land has
ever given me. The silence of the interiors and the chiming of the
bells kind of releases all the tension from my mind! Plus I get to
meet people from the neighborhood; after all, I'm a social person!
The other day, I met Seema at the temple. She is so sweet and I loved
the pink outfit she wore. It really accentuates her hips. Pink suits
me too. I have this pink salwar that I had worn to Ashi anna's
wedding. I got it stitched from this nosy tailor; so annoying he is!
But his work is good, so its okay. Everybody at the wedding said I
looked pretty. I loveee basking in the pool of praises! Haha, I don'
even know if that phrase is used right. Oh, I'm so funny..like the
other day, when I tried to crack a joke about the food that Americans
eat. That reminds me..I need to buy fruits to survive the next week.
I should make a list of things to buy, so I can finish off with the
shopping this weekend. I wish I could just order it on Grofers. But
hand-picking grocery gives me the assurance that its organic, natural
and not rotten. Man, there's an app for everything! It only makes us
lazy. Oh I remember seeing a notification on my phone about some sale
on Myntra..Let me open and check it..” She unlocks the phone and
immediately locks it back. “God! The light is blinding in the
dark..! I guess I should just sleep now..its been a tough week. The
best thing is that I can sleep as long as I want, tomorrow. I'll wake
up at 12 and go shopping. Gotta meet brother too, damn! I completely
forgot about it. I guess he needs money. If only he didn't spend so
much on video games..he wouldn't be dependent on me. I'm the good kid
in the family according to ....” and unknowingly she had fallen
asleep; snoring the very next minute.
If you are a guy and still
reading this, then congrats! You can successfully listen to a girl
blabber about girl-things, without complaining! :D I am not very sure
about what goes on boys' minds when they are almost unconscious, before sleep. Probably, “She looked so good today!” or, “I need
to collect *some-game* from *some-person*” or, “when do I go party next!”. Anyway, the
point of discussion is about this train of thought. The story-snippet
was just a short narrative about 30 minutes of a lady's life, before
she sleeps (from the time she enters the room till she sleeps).
Notice how the thought actually began about work and then , moved on to
different things and in the end, it became something completely
irrelevant to the first thought?! How many times have you done this?
Knowingly or unknowingly. Before sleeping? In the shower? While
walking or riding? Or while sitting and doing nothing on a boring
Sunday noon?
I surprisingly do this a lot. I noticed it the other day, and decided to write about it. I tried to use the backtracking
algorithm (Ah, that's the engineer in me speaking!) to figure how I
ended up with the final topic. I was really amused at the train of
thought and the fact that it was completely involuntary. The human
mind is capable of connecting memories so quickly. Hence I decided to
dig a little deeper in the field of mind-science.
Apparently, when we
are working on something in particular, our mind exerts power, and tries to
concentrate only on what is being done at that moment. So, our entire
focus is only on the job we are performing. However, when we are at
it, there are a set of thoughts which are below the level of
immediate conscious awareness – and are called the preconscious
thoughts. These thoughts are capable of becoming 'conscious' but are
not completely forgotten. When we are preparing to sleep, or in a
relaxed mood without having much to do or think – these thoughts
begin to surface in the conscious mind. That is when we begin to
think about it.“Once those preconscious thoughts gather sufficient strength, the full spotlight of consciousness beams down on them.”
This is the reason we end up thinking about the less important things, at night or at leisure. It is not completely voluntary, but just a way for the mind to let out its suppressed thoughts.
Apart from
this, there is something called 'racing thoughts'. These refer to
“the rapid thought patterns that often occur in manic, hypo manic,
or mixed episodes”. According to what I have understood, these must not be confused with the
preconscious thoughts. Racing thoughts could be dangerous and can
lead to anxiety and insomnia. It is often related to overwhelming
and/or irritated thoughts and feelings. Preconscious thoughts are
milder versions of racing thoughts and so, is perfectly normal.
To think
how the mind remembers and works out so many things, keeps memories in the brain, and how quickly they can surface, makes
me wonder how well-wired we are. If at all there is a 'maker' – who
has made us all, then he is a brainy brilliant genius! He must be
looking at - us trying to figure out how things work in our brain, and
grinning with a broad smile right now.
yea... mind thinks like a monkey jumping from one thought to next.... that's wer meditation plays role.
ReplyDeleteBtw... i seem to b becoming ur fan 😜
Ah! Meditation.. Hmm. Should starting following a proper healthy routine! And thank you :)
ReplyDelete